Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thank you mom

Today marks the 26th anniversary of the day I was born. A day that wouldn't have been with my beautiful Mother. I thought in honor of her I should post the tribute I read at her funeral. (As I typed it up I realized how much I lack in my ability to write especially in comparison with her talent so please forgive me for that). I only had two minutes to speak and tell her and all those who loved her how much I admired her. If I'd had longer I would have said more about the incredibly amazing mother and grandmother that she was and is. Since I was the last to speak my sisters had already done an amazing job of honoring her for that role. I decided to focus a little more on her desire to love and serve.


I may have inherited my mothers ability to talk but I did not inherit her ability to write. After many failed attempts trying to write about my mom Bryce suggested I just write her a letter telling her how I feel. 
Mom,
How can I even begin to thank you enough for everything you have done for me. You gave me a life and a home full of love. You have given me six amazing sisters to take care of me now that you are gone. Thank you for making me want to be a mother. You taught me to change a poopy diaper with a smile on my face! Thank you for holding me all those nights that I was sick. Something about your warm arms always made everything better. You are not only a mother to us but to every friend that ever walked through your door.
You have such an amazing way of answering the prayers of those you know and love and also of strangers you come across in need. The stories come flooding when I think of all those you have helped without a second thought. The woman broken down on the side of the road who was on the way to her wedding. You got her there on time. The mother who got off the bus 3 stops too late on a freezing day with her 2 young children. You drove her home without a second thought. Or the man with no hands that may have not needed the gloves you offered , but did need a break from carrying his groceries with his mouth and gladly accepted the ride home. You have shown me the importance of loving others and the big impact that small and simple things can have on a life. You are an example to us all. I love you and I am proud to be your daughter and to carry your name. 
Love Laura Lee

1 comment:

  1. Wow Laurie! I am grateful to mom for that day also. She did a great job with you little sister and I love you! Thanks for keeping up on this! Mom IS amazing!

    ReplyDelete